Everyone has bias. It's a part of the human make up. But when left unchecked, biases can have a negative impact in every interaction. With the vast amount of diversity that makes up our global workforce, the level of complexity and potential conflicts that can arise from unconscious bias is sure to increase. The goal of this course is to underpin the discussion on diversity and inclusion and cultural competence by helping participants move from unconscious to conscious awareness of their own biases.
Through video discussions and self-reflection activities, Dr. Davis will guide participants through several real-world examples of how biases play out in the workplace and how they impact individual and organizational behavior. She will outline their impacts on selection and hiring decisions, collaboration, team effectiveness, and productivity. She will also discuss them in the context of microaggressions, micro advantages, and disadvantages. Dr. Davis will conclude this course with strategies for how participants can and should address bias in the workplace.
- Explore the various ways the unconscious mind impacts our interactions with others using theory, research, and experiential exercises.
- Explain new-neuro and cognitive science research on how the human brain makes decisions that impact not only diversity but in every other human judgement.
- Describe how unconscious bias manifests in decision making in every area of the employee life cycle (Hiring, Onboarding, Employee Evaluation, Performance Management, Development, Team Collaboration, Trust-Building, etc.).
- Explore your own patterns of perception to identify the particular lens through which you see the world.
- Strategies for how to address bias in the workplace.
“The use of this seal confirms that this activity has met HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) criteria for recertification credit pre-approval.”
Dr. Shirley Davis and SDS Global Enterprises, Inc. have passed the rigorous scrutiny of both the The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) and Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI) and has earned their Approved Preferred Provider Certification. This important certification means that SDS Global Enterprises’ programs meet the standards and requirements of the HR profession’s Body of SHRM Competencies and Knowledge instituted by SHRM and HRCI’s strict guidelines for offering HR education. Therefore, SHRM’s Professional Development Credits (PDCs) and HRCI’s continuing Education Credits (CEUs) and Certificates of Completion for programs provided by SDS Global Enterprises may be awarded.
- Introduction FREE PREVIEW
- Pre-Quiz Assessment
- Module 1.1 - Era of Disruption
- Module 1.2 Activity - The Global Workforce is Changing Worksheet
- Module 1.2 - The Global Workforce is Changing
- Module 1.3 Activity - Demographic Disruptions Worksheet
- Module 1.3 - Summary and Assessment of Readiness of Demographic Disruptions
- Module 2.1 Activity - Definition of Workplace Diversity Worksheet
- Module 2.1 - Workplace Diversity Defined
- Module 2.2 - Inclusion Defined
- Module 2.3 Activity - Becoming Aware of Your Biases Worksheet
- Module 2.3 - Becoming Aware of Your Biases
- Module 3.1 Activity - Trustworthiness and Competence Worksheet
- Module 3.1 - First Impressions--People Watching
- Module 3.2 - What is Unconscious Bias and How It's Developed
- Module 3.3 Activity - Microaggressions Worksheets
- Module 3.3 - Microaggressions
- Module 4.1 Activity - Inattentiveness/Blindspot Worksheet
- Module 4.1 - The Unconscious Mind
- Module 4.2 Activity - Implicit Association and Bias Worksheet
- Module 4.2 - Implicit Association and How it Plays Out in the Workplace
- Module 4.3 Activity - Which Biases Are Ours Worksheet
- Module 4.3 - Which Biases Are Ours?
- Module 5 Activities - Case Studies and Key Reminders Worksheets
- Module 5.1 - A Male Perspective Case Study
- Module 5.2 - New Ideas of Millennial Worker Case Study
- Module 5.3 - Transgender Employee Case Study
- Module 5.4 - Case Study Key Reminders
- Module 6 Handout - Practicing Respectful and Inclusive Behaviors Handout
- Module 6 - Strategies for Reprogramming and Debiasing the Brain
- Summary Video
- Final Quiz
President, SDS Global Enterprises, Inc.email@example.com